Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Jobs for college grads

"College teaches you everything except how to get a job"

I've heard this expression or something similar a lot lately, and I think it's true. It would be great if it wasn't - if just having a college degree was all grads needed to land the jobs of their dreams. Alas, it's just not true. PLNU does have a Career Services center that will give you some pointers, and your professors might even help you make some job connections. But especially during an economic reces
sion like what's going on right now, I find myself wishing that I could have taken a class this semester on how to actually find a job with what you're studying!

Well, I graduate in ten days and I still haven't found a job. But I'm staying positive. I'm sending out applications and networking, trying to do everything I can without totally neglecting my final projects for all of my classes. Here are some of the top resources I've found:

-Indeed.com: Monster and CareerBuilder haven't been very helpful to me, but Indeed is kind of like the Dogpile of job search engines, if you remember Dogpile from like eight years ago before Google took over.

-Career Realism: Great advice for job seekers

-Entry Level Careers on Examiner.com: Heather Huhman has some great advice for new and upcoming grads.

Even if I can't find the ideal job in the next couple weeks, I've got some great backup ideas.

-Become a pirate: They're all over the news lately. I would totally do it Robin Hood style - only stealing from the rich and giving to the poor.

-Starbucks barista: I could work with all the other college grads who couldn't find jobs in their field of study!


-PLNU Grad school: When in doubt, go to grad school, right?

-Join the circus: I hear they're short on fire breathers right now.

or, last but certainly not least... a fire-breathing pirate!!


Please check out the awesome video of the week on the topic of finding a job.

1 comment:

nikki j said...

i vote for the circus. fire!!!

haha jk. colitem

stay positive spence, all in due time =)

Blog Archive