Sunday, January 25, 2009

The Acrobatics of a College Student

There are a few things that are pretty much universally true for every college student:
-Our sleep schedules are totally out of whack
-We eat a lot of pizza

-You never know what kind of adventures the next week (or day) will bring

For the average person, life is pretty predictable from week to week. Go to work, come home, eat dinner, maybe watch some TV and spend time with the kids, then hit the sack. Recycle and repeat. In college, things are totally different. It's actually a good thing that we have classes at the same time each week, because this is the most stable thing most college students have in their lives. One minute we're sitting on the couch watching LOST, the next we're piled in the car driving to Fiji Yogurt, the next we're back at the dorm playing Catchphrase.

Life can be crazy from time to time, but there's rarely a dull moment! In this blog, I'll tell you about three of the random things that happen to be going on in my life right now.

First, the Academy Awards are coming up on February 22. A couple of friends threw out the idea of seeing all five movies nominated for "Best Picture" before the awards. So far, I have two down, three to go.

  • The Curious Case of Benjamin Button” - saw this a couple weeks ago in the theatres. It's a really unique and inspiring movie. I've heard people complain it was too long, but I didn't check my watch once during the movie.
  • Frost/Nixon” - I'm really looking forward to this one.
  • Milk” - I've heard there are some great performances in this one.
  • The Reader” - Not so sure about this one...
  • Slumdog Millionaire” - Amazing movie. I've seen it twice.

Second, today I had the awesome opportunity to check out the Chinese Acrobat
s. I went with a group of guys and girls from Flex, and everyone I talked to was blown away. I don't even know how to describe what I saw - some acts I would never have thought the human body capable of performing. (Check out a short clip from a different performance in this week's YouTube Video of the Week.)

One of the many cool acts during the Chinese Acrobats

Finally, this next week is Renewal Week at PLNU. It's one of my favorite weeks of every semester when a special emphasis is placed on taking time out from our crazy college schedules and putting more emphasis on God. Each semester during this week, we have a special speaker during chapel for the entire week, and this semester I'm thrilled to have a former pastor of mine named Scott Daniels coming to speak from Pasadena First Nazarene near L.A.

Scotty D., as I never have called him until this moment

Of course, there's a whole lot more going on right now, but you'll have to wait until next time for more! Okay, one extra piece of trivia for you: my playlist while writing this blog has included The Raconteurs, The Blue Van, The Ting Tings, Jon Foreman, M.I.A., and...Taylor Swift. Yes, I am not afraid to admit I listened to the song "Love Story" while writing this paragraph.

No comments:

Blog Archive