Sunday, December 14, 2008

The Best of Times, the Worst of Times



"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times."

The words of Charles Dickens are especially appropriate for a college student this time of year. On the one hand, the Christmas spirit is in the air. Lights are on every corner. There are celebrations, musicals, and special events every night of the week. On the other hand, the end of the semester is approaching. Term papers, group projects, and final exams all come together in the last two weeks of the semester, causing college students across the country to pull their hair out in frustration.


It's really a terrible scenario, because there are cool things going on every night, but there's always something big due the following morning. It would seem either you end up missing out on all the fun of the Christmas season, or your grades suffer. I've tried to find a decent balance between the two, but I'll admit, it's not easy. I've been able to take a few breaks from my studies, though, and venture out of my apartment into the real world.


My roommate had two amazing solos in Messiah, which is such a cool musical if you've never seen it. It's even better if you know people who are singing. I also got to see Calen in the One Acts performances. This is a combination of three short plays (one act each, hence the name) that take place altogether. It's a lot of fun, and everyone involved did an incredible job.


I'm also thrilled to say that I was able to stop by my favorite spot in San Diego during the holidays. There's a street about 5 minutes from the school (Garrison St.) where all the houses go nutzo decorating for Christmas. It's absolutely incredible. I got to stop by and take it all in, and fortunately for all of you, I took pictures. We also have a balcony Christmas light decorating contest in the Flex apartments on campus. Our apartment (and by that, I mean I) decided that we should compete. Here's how it turned out:



Finally, here are the pictures from Garrison Street. Merry Christmas!!
























No comments:

Blog Archive