Sunday, November 9, 2008

"I don't wanna read the book; I'll watch the movie"


I don't know that I've really shared with you how much I truly love movies. I am a big fan of movies. If movies ran for president, I would totally make those creepy calls telling you why movie's opponent is a Muslim or a warmonger or whatever. I would be just like the crazy McCain woman.

For this reason, I was stoked to discover a few weeks ago that there would be a chapel called "Reel Stories." This chapel took place this past Friday, and showed clips from various films that pointed to death (including "No Country for Old Men"), descent (including "The Empire Strikes Back") and hope/resurrection (including one of my favorite movies, "Big Fish"). The great thing about this chapel was that it reminded us to be conscious observers of what we encounter in society. Just like we do when we read books in English class, we should look past the action on the screen and to what larger themes the movie is trying to say.


Our new chaplain, Mark Carter


On Saturday my roommates and I went to AMC Theatres at Fashion Valley Mall (which, random side note, now has an H&M store, which I'm really excited about). We went to see Pride and Glory starring Edward Norton and Colin Farrell. I tried to observe some of the larger themes of the movie - it dealt with commitment, trust, betrayal, hopelessness, and redemption. It really was more than a mindless action film, and I enjoyed it even more because I was looking for these themes. Then my roommates and I decided to make it a double feature affair, but alas the second movie we had wanted to see was sold out.

This Thursday, I am absolutely stoked to have gotten my hands on tickets for a screening for a new movie by Darren Aronofsky ("Requiem for a Dream") with a Q & A with the director afterward!! Aronofsky is known for films that have a strong message associated with them, and, as a fair warning, also well known for making movies that push the ratings system to the limit. But what he has to say is socially relevant and important, and to me that makes it worth it to look past the objectionable parts of the movie. It's a tough line to walk, though, and I would recommend using high discretion if you're considering watching Pride and Glory or any Aronofsky film.

It's exciting to me that PLNU is willing to step out of what might be the traditional idea of what chapel should look like, and offer chapels such as this one. I'm also excited about tomorrow's chapel, which will focus on Youth Homelessness and our response. I'm especially excited for this one as I happen to lead a homeless ministry on campus. If you have any questions about what kind of student ministries the campus has to offer, feel free to ask me, or just go here.

I will try to post a new blog again SOON (as in, within the next week). I know all of you are dying to know every awesome thing that goes on in my life at Loma, so I will make an effort to keep you better informed :) Until next time, please enjoy the sarcasm of Switchfoot's music video, and notice their awesome bowl cuts circa 1997.

No comments:

Blog Archive